How to Change Your Toyota Prius Battery
At Maxat Hybrid Repair, we go ‘beyond the job’ of the average car repair shop. By this, we mean to say that our goal is not solely limited to fixing your hybrid vehicle. We also aim to educate our customers so that they can reduce their costs and understand when our assistance may or may not be necessary. With this goal in mind, we would like to provide you with some tips on changing the battery in your Toyota Prius.
How to Change a Toyota Prius 12 Volt Battery
If your Toyota Prius seems to have lost power to the lights, radio or smaller vehicle parts not associated with the engine, you can rest easy knowing that this can be fixed without replacing the large 200 volt battery that is used to drive the car in the electric mode – saving you time and a whole lot of money. The much smaller 12 volt battery powers accessories throughout the car and can be changed by you as the consumer. This battery is oddly found in the trunk, and can be replaced in about 30 minutes to an hour.
This battery will probably last between five and ten years, but can die off much quicker than this if run for longer periods of time. To replace this battery, you will need several tools on hand, including socket options, a drive ratchet and preferably an extension attachment, and a flat head screwdriver.
Some readers might be better off browsing instructional videos online, or you can follow these steps to change this smaller battery:
- Open the hatchback and remove any carpet or floor mat coverings.
- Remove the plastic storage bin, exposing the spare tire.
- Unsnap the plastic molding on the far right, in the rear of the trunk.
- Remove the air duct on top of the battery using the appropriate socket size.
- Remove the cables and plastic housing from the battery.
- Loosen the 10 mm bolt and lift the terminal straight up.
- Do not allow this terminal to touch any car parts.
- Remove the battery hold down with the appropriate socket size.
- Pull the vent tube straight out of the battery and, without pulling it from the car, set it out of the way.
- Remove the negative battery terminal and wire from the battery and replace with new battery.
Finding a replacement battery for the Prius
The Toyota Prius battery can be purchased from a Toyota dealer, or consider stopping at our repair center and pick up a 12V battery that we have in stock. Price for Toyota Prius 2004-newer is $220 installed + Tax.
The battery comes with 24 or 36 Month warranty. We’re offer a replacement battery for the Prius that should work for the 2004 and newer model Prius that is equipped with a smart key system. Some cheaper battery manufactured will not fit properly in a Prius that is not equipped with the smart key. Make sure you purchase a battery that fits your hybrid specifications.
Feel free to call us for consultation about your battery needs:(916) 500-7070